There have been so many Paris-related posts lately on Chic Darling!
When I decided to come to Europe, I wanted to by-pass France entirely — last time I had been the people were rude, the place smelled and I stayed at a really run-down hostel. However, my inner-frugalista won and I begrudingly took the cheapest flight to Europe available — direct: Montreal->Paris.
Long story short — I had a fantastic time in Paris! Turns out, when you speak French to people and are not dressed like a hobo, people are much friendlier!
Here are my Top Picks of places to visit:
- Arc de Triomphe: This is my FAVOURITE site in all of Paris. There’s nothing to really see per se but it is a beautiful landmark and there’s an observation deck
- The Louvre: The Louvre is a former palace which, in itself, is impressive to visit. However, it is filled with the most beautiful art that I’ve ever seen and you could spend days just admiring everything
- Notre Dame Cathedral: A bit smaller than I imagined but very impressive when you think about how old it is!
- Musée d’Orsay: See the Louvre
- Eiffel Tower: A staple to visit when in Paris — but to be avoided on Valentine’s Day! Every time I’ve visited I’ve seen many marriage proposals which can lift your spirits on a bad day
- Tour Montparnasse: A nice place to have an overview of Paris but without the lines of the Eiffel Tower or l’Arc de Triomphe
- Champs d’Elysées: A luxury shopping street in Paris — nice to visit but unlikely that you can afford anything aside from the food or something from the Virgin Megastore
- Catacombs: AMAZING! Not for the faint of heart or the claustrophobic though… About 20km below ground, cramped quarters and walls made of bones: An experience to not be missed!
- Sacré-Coeur Basilica: Huge and quite impressive
- Moulin Rouge: I’ve never been to Moulin Rouge but a friend of mine loved it!
- La Défense: La Défense is where the architecture-nerd in me comes out — so, SO many beautiful, modern buildings. There’s also a shopping centre that was once the largest in Europe
- Versailles: Going to Versailles is a day-trip but well worth it! The palace is enormous and quite ornate, the gardens are HUGE and beautiful and the town is cheap and very stereotypically-French
- Panthéon: Another place that I haven’t visited but plan to when I head back to Paris before I go home