With fall already here, we’re all starting to think about soups and chowders to help us stay warm this upcoming winter. One of our favorite things to cook in the colder months is corn chowder- not only does it taste great, but it’s pretty easy to pull together.
So in the spirit of all things chowder, we’re sharing a new twist on the traditional recipe– this one with TOFU! gasp* We promise that you’re going to love it!
This by far is our favorite cream corn and potato chowder recipe.
Although this recipe is written for a Vitamix, you can easily cook this in a stockpot and just use a hand blender to blend the ingredients once hot.
Sometimes I like to have a lot of corn and just a little soup (like in the photos) so I will increase the corn to six ears fresh corn instead of four. Go with whatever you’re in the mood for!
Cream corn and potato chowder recipe.
- 1 T olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- kernels from 4 ears fresh corn, divided
- 1 large russet potato, cut into small bite-sized cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk (I’ve used almond milk with success)
- 1/3 cup silken tofu
- 1 t kosher salt (or to taste, this soup needs a lot of seasoning!)
- ½ t freshly ground pepper
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, saute about four minutes or until soft. Add half of corn kernels, potato and stock, bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add milk, tofu and cooked potato mixture to Vitamix (or stockpot, saucepan, etc. then just use a hand blender once hot). Start on Variable 1, quickly go to 10, then to high. Blend for 2-3 minutes until soup is very hot. Carefully taste soup and add kosher salt to taste. Serve in heated bowls (I just heat mine in the microwave) and garnish with chopped parsley.