I love spending time with my god son. He’s 7 now, and can actually help with baking etc without making a bigger mess. Can you tell that I don’t have kids?
Anyway, J, like me, loves anything cheesecake. I feel that he takes after me when it comes to that. We searched for something that he could take to school and not need a fork to eat at lunch. (See, I am good godmother)
This is what we found: Apple Cheesecake Bars.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 apples (peeled, cored, & chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, place butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats. Pulse or mix until dough forms.
- Press dough into bottom of 9×9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Keep an eye on this. It could more/less time depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla until well combined.
- Spread evenly over slightly cooled crust.
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Spread apples over cream cheese.
- Combine flour, oats, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- With a pastry knife or fork, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle topping over apple layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden and center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool before slicing.
- Store in refrigerator.